February is a great time to start fertilizing, pruning and getting seeds ready. Weather permitting, this can be a great month to get your soil in order for your spring and summer plants.
General garden care
- Pull any weeds that have been snow covered such as bittercress.
- Continue to feed the birds.
- During a thaw, cut down ornamental grasses.
- Remove any broken tree or shrub branches.
- Prune trees and shrubs while still dormant.
- Spray Wilt-Stop on all broadleaf evergreens for protection from drying winter winds and sun when temperatures are above 42 degrees.
- Plant pansies, English daisies and primrose as soon as the earth is workable.
- Start pepper and eggplant seeds indoors at the end of the month.
- Buy seeds and seed starting supplies.