PHS: How to Build a School Garden – $50
Learn what it takes to create a sustainable school garden. This program is designed for educators who want to bring environmental lessons into the classroom and inspire kids to get out into the garden. You do not need to be a teacher or a city resident to attend. Participants will help build an outdoor school garden. Plenty of hands-on activities, so come prepared to get dirty!
This 12-hour/3-session course will cover:
- How to design, build and maintain a school garden year-round
- Integrating STEM-related activities into classroom & garden
- Relevant classroom activities & lesson plans
- Involving the community
- Working with administrators
- Making your school more sustainable
- Correlating school gardens with healthy eating
- Finding best ways to get the kids outside enjoying nature!
Come to 1, 2 or all 3 days for the same $50 fee. Group Discounts are available. Special pricing for City Year, VISTA, Americorps. Graduates qualify to apply for up to $200 in in-kind Project Support.
It’s summer, it’s hot, it could rain, and we’ll be doing lots of hands-on gardening and building. We will be working outside, so please come dressed appropriately and bring a water bottle. All activities will take place at William H. Hunter Elementary School.