Penn State Extension: Home Food Preservation: Jams and Jellies – $15
In recent years, there has been increasing interest in home food preservation. Canning is one method of food preservation that allows you to enjoy seasonal foods all year long. While this method of home food preservation has existed for centuries, we have learned much about the science behind safe canning methods in recent years. Home Food Preservation: Jams & Jellies will explain the scientific reasoning behind today’s recommended methods for making and processing jam and jelly, while dispelling food preservation myths and unsafe practices of the past.
In this workshop on jams, jellies and other sweet spreads, you will learn:
- The basics of water bath and atmospheric steam canning for processing jam and jelly.
- Techniques for making cooked and freezer jam and jelly.
- The various types of pectin products and their use for a proper set.
- The essential nature of various ingredients to a quality product.
- Recipes for reduced sugar and no sugar added jam and jelly.
- How to trouble shoot problems.
This is not a Primex affiliated event. To sign up please visit extension.psu.edu/home-food-preservation-jams-and-jellies.