QUIT BUGGIN’ ME! A Primex Guide to Mosquitos & Spotted Lantern Fly
With the rise of insect born illnesses, it is more important than ever to keep yourself and your pets safe this summer.
According to the CDC, “Mosquito bites can be more than just annoying and itchy. They can spread viruses that make you sick or, in rare cases, cause death. Although most kinds of mosquitoes are just nuisance mosquitoes, some kinds of mosquitoes in the United States and around the world spread viruses that can cause disease.
Mosquitoes bite during the day and night, live indoors and outdoors, and search for warm places as temperatures begin to drop. Some will hibernate in enclosed spaces, like garages, sheds, and under (or inside) homes to survive cold temperatures. Except for the southernmost states in North America, mosquito season starts in the summer and continues into fall.”
The PA Department of Agriculture says, “The Spotted Lanternfly causes serious damage in trees including oozing sap, wilting, leaf curling, and tree dieback. In addition to tree damage, when spotted lanternflies feed, they excrete a sugary substance, called honeydew, that encourages the growth of black sooty mold. This mold is harmless to people, however it causes damage to plants. In counties infested and quarantined for Spotted Lanternfly, residents report hundreds of these bad bugs that affect their quality of life and ability to enjoy the outdoors during the spring and summer months. Spotted Lanternflies will cover trees, swarm in the air, and their honeydew can coat decks and play equipment.
If you see a Spotted Lanternfly, it’s imperative to immediately report it online or via phone by calling 1-888-4BADFLY. Especially if you are not inside the quarantine zone.
What else? Kill it! Squash it, smash it…just get rid of it. In the fall, these bugs will lay egg masses with 30-50 eggs each. These are called bad bugs for a reason, don’t let them take over your county next.”
Primex carries a wide variety of mosquito and tick repellents including:
- Mosquito Dunks & Bits: Use in any standing water to control mosquito larvae and mosquitoes.
- Mosquito Coils: Ignite the coil and it repels mosquitoes for 8 hours.
- Bug Protection: All natural mosquito & tick repellent, in various sizes. Simply spray on exposed skin or pets.
- No Bite Me: Effective preventative and after bite cream for mosquitoes, ticks, and other insects.
- Citronella Candles: Simply light the candle to repel mosquitoes. Comes in a variety of sizes and designs.
- Murphy’s Naturals: Cones and candles contain essential oils including citronella, cedar, rosemary, & lemon grass designed to burn to repel mosquitoes. Spray contains lemon eucalyptus oil designed to repel mosquitoes for up to 6 hours.
- Coleman’s Insect Repellent w/ 40% Deet: Spray can repels mosquitoes, ticks and other insects.
- Ecosmart Insect Repellent: All natural ingredients that keep away mosquitoes, ticks, and other insects for hours.
- No Natz: All natural essential oils to repel gnats, mosquitoes, and biting flies.
Primex carries a wide variety of products to deter and remove spotted lantern fly including:
- Bayer 12 Month Tree & Shrub Protect & Feed: No spraying! Just measure, mix and pour at plant base.
- Clarks Tree Wrap: Helps preserve the moisture content of the bark and prevent excessive dripping.
- Eight Vegetable, Fruit & Flower Insect Control: Provides economical, contact and residual insect control for up to 4 weeks.
- Indoor/Outdoor Insect Control: Control pests indoors in interiorscapes and outdoors on ornamentals and lawns in landscaped areas
- Revenge Jumbo Fly Catcher: 8 feet of our UV stable, non-drying “memory glue” – won’t adhere to skin, but will catch spotted lantern fly.
- Tree Tanglefoot: Provides a long-lasting waterproof insect barrier that lasts all season long.